20 October 2011

Natural Organic Hair Treatment for the Dry Winter Months

Winter is almost upon us and the cold winter months can often make our hair feel dry and dull.  I’ve recently started using coconut oil as an intense hair treatment.  Ideally I would like to do this at least once or twice a week, but since time has been pretty scarce lately, I’ve only managed to do it once or twice a month.

I first heard about using coconut oil as a hair treatment when a few BeautyBulletin ladies wrote great reviews on the benefits of coconut oil.  I just had to try it!  And I purchased the Crede Organic Coconut Oil from the Wellness Centre.  It was only R69.95 for a big 400ml jar.  So worth it if I compare it to how much I usually pay for other hair treatments and some don’t even work well!

I did quite a bit of research on the benefits of coconut oil, and believe me, its pretty LONG! Not only can you use coconut oil for hair care, but you can use it for skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increasiing immunity, aid digestion and metabolism, bone strength and so forth.  I must admit I was pretty impressed! The benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, apric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties are used for antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial and soothing purposes.

Since I’ve only used it on my hair, I will mention a few benefits that coconut oil has on hair.  Firstly, coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair.  It stimulates the growth of healthy hair and gives them a shiny complexion.  With regular massage of the scalp with coconut oil, it ensures that your scalp is dandruff-free.  It also provides the essential proteins that are required for nourishing damaged hair.  These are some of the reasons why coconut oil is used in manufacturing various conditioners and dandruff relief creams.

This is how I use coconut oil on my hair.  I first dampen my hair slightly either with a spray bottle of water, or wetting my comb and brushing it through my hair repeatedly till its slightly wet.  Then I take the coconut oil with my hands and rub it in to the bottom half of my hair.  If you have dry hair you can apply it from the roots, I have oily hair so I prefer starting from the middle down.  Keep applying until all the hair that you want to treat is covered in coconut oil.  I then tie my hair into a plait and leave it in for a few hours (if i have time) before I wash it out with shampoo.  You don’t need to apply conditioner afterwards.

I tied my hair into a fish-tail braid because it looks pretty and it maximises the surface area for the coconut oil to penetrate the hair.  I recently learnt how to do this and I love how it looks.  Casual yet sleek!  I would even go out like this to run errands :)

I love this natural, organic hair treatment!  You can feel a difference in your hair immediately and it makes your hair super shiny and soft.  I love the smell of coconut oil, it reminds me of coconut wafer biscuits.  YUM!  These pictures are after I’ve applied coconut oil and tied it into a plait.  I can only make a pretty fish-tail braid when my hair is slightly wet, otherwise too much bits of hair are sticking out.

Treating your hair can be super affordable and easy to do!  Give this a try if you want to give your hair a 5 star treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment