21 November 2011

I'm in Hong Kong!


I know I am guilty of not writing my "Wish-List Wednesday" post last week, but I was frantically busy after my last exam on Monday, packing and seeing all my friends before I left for a month to visit Hong Kong. For those that don't know, I was born in Hong Kong and moved to South Africa when I was a few months old, so although technically I am a Hong Kong citizen, I am quite a tourist when I'm here. I can speak the language and all, but the locals can hear that my accent is slightly different, and from the way I dress and behave, they can clearly tell that I'm not a local. I haven't been back since Christmas of 2007, and I still have grandparents here so I wanted to visit Hong Kong before I start working next year.

I took a long flight from Johannesburg to Hong Kong on the Friday. It's a 12.5 hour flight (excluding my domestic flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg), so it was quite long and grueling. I personally enjoy the idea of flying more than the actual flying itself since I tend to get motion sickness quite easily (TMI?). Luckily I slept throughout the entire flight so I didn't experience any.... uh-hem... discomforts...  LOL!

I took a few pictures while on my flight (when the seat belt light was off of course!) that I wanted to share with you. My aunt made a comment that she wasn't interested in visiting the Cape Point any longer since you are never able to see the distinct line that separates the Indian and Pacific Ocean. Personally I have never seen it myself when I paid Cape Point a visit, but I was so freaking happy to see the distinct line while I was flying from Cape Town to Johannesburg. I swear it was the most beautiful sight ever! Thought I would post this for those that haven't seen the line either.

I thoroughly enjoyed the domestic flight because the views were so breathtaking!





So I was quite jet lagged, but I think that my body has finally adjusted to Hong Kong time. It's a 6 hour difference between Hong Kong and South Africa and the lifestyle is completely different here! It's really a place that you have to experience yourself. It's a super culture shock if you've grown up in South Africa or any other Western country may I add.  It is currently Autumn here (opposite to the season in South Africa) and it was so hot! It was more hot than Cape Town! No jokes! I was sweating buckets (or should I say perspiring since I'm a lady) because its hot AND humid. In Cape Town I have never worried that my makeup would melt off my face since it is a bit dry and makeup happens to cling very well to dry skin, but here I have to do every fool-proof trick I know to try keep my makeup looking decent all day! I will be sharing with you what I've been doing in further posts while I'm here :)

I thought that while I was here I would do a few posts that are related to Hong Kong for those who are interested in travelling here some time. It's a wonderful city to visit and it is true when they say it is shopping haven! I'll do posts on some goodies that I have bought here too. These will include accessories like bags and shoes (every girls favourite!) and beauty products as well!

So look out for future posts if you're interested in travelling to Asia any time soon, or you just want to find out how I'm doing :) I can't wait to visit the NARS counter! Whoop whoop!

6 comments:

  1. How exciting! Have fun Chloe! I can't wait to see what all you buy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chicara! :) I saw Laura Mercier, Shu Uemura and all the other beauty brands that aren't available in South Africa! Can't wait to browse them all :) Will show you what I get! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Laura Mercier. Spoil yourself and buy all that you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that Laura Mercier mineral finishing powder but its like R375 and I don't know if a powder is worth it since I don't use powder much in SA where my skin is kind of dry already =/ my skin is actually oily here in Hong Kong, so if I stayed here I would have bought the powder. Any other Laura Mercier products you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard lots of things about the illuminating tinted moisturizer and the silk creme foundation. Both apparently really good. Also a couple of youtube girls rave about the skincare products. One that I've seen reviews on that I've heard works very well and loads of makeup artists use it is the Secret Camouflage concealer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! :) seems like Laura Mercier is really good when it comes to their face products :) I'm gonna go have a look see :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete